Essential oils are concentrated extracts from plants that have various aromatic, therapeutic, and medicinal properties. They can be used for aromatherapy, massage, skincare, household cleaning, natural remedies, and more. But with so many essential oil brands and products on the market, how do you know which ones are worth your money and trust?
You may have seen some essential oils labeled as “therapeutic grade” or “certified pure therapeutic grade” (CPTG). These terms imply that these oils are superior in quality, purity, and efficacy than other oils. But what do these terms really mean? And do they have any scientific or legal basis?
In this article, we will explore the truth behind therapeutic grade essential oils and reveal why you should be wary of this misleading term. We will also provide you with some tips and guidelines on how to choose high-quality essential oils that are safe, effective, and ethical.
The Truth About Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils
The term “therapeutic grade” was not used in the aromatherapy world until sometime in the 1990s. It was a marketing strategy devised by a certain company to make buyers think that only their essential oils had therapeutic benefits, while other companies’ oils did not. The term was also trademarked as “Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade” (CPTG) by another company to create a false sense of exclusivity and authority.
The truth is, there is no such thing as therapeutic grade essential oils. There is no official or generally accepted definition, standard, or certification for this term. There is no governmental agency or organization that regulates or verifies the quality or purity of essential oils in the U.S. or internationally. The term “therapeutic grade” is nothing more than a clever marketing tactic that has no scientific or legal basis.
Many reputable sources and experts in the field of aromatherapy have debunked and criticized the term “therapeutic grade” as misleading, deceptive, and unethical. For example, Robert Tisserand, a renowned aromatherapist and author, states that “there are no grades of essential oils because there is no authority that grades them”. Jade Shutes, another respected aromatherapist and educator, says that “all essential oils are therapeutic by nature”. The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA), a leading organization for aromatherapy education and advocacy, warns consumers to be cautious of companies that use terms such as “therapeutic grade” or “certified pure” to imply that their oils are superior or endorsed by a credible source.
How to Choose High-Quality Essential Oils
If there is no such thing as therapeutic grade essential oils, how can you tell which essential oils are high-quality and which ones are not? The answer is not simple or straightforward. There are many factors and criteria that affect the quality and safety of essential oils, such as:
- The botanical source, origin, and identity of the plant material.
- The growing conditions, harvesting methods, and sustainability practices of the plant material.
- The extraction method, equipment, and solvents used to produce the essential oil.
- The storage, packaging, labeling, and transportation of the essential oil.
- The testing methods, results, and reports used to verify the purity, potency, and composition of the essential oil.
- The reputation, transparency, and ethics of the essential oil brand or supplier.
As a consumer, you need to do your own research and be informed before buying essential oils. You need to ask questions, request information, and compare different options. You need to look for evidence, not just claims or labels. Here are some tips and recommendations on how to find reliable and trustworthy essential oil brands and suppliers:
- Look for brands or suppliers that provide detailed information about their essential oils, such as the botanical name, origin, extraction method, batch number, expiration date, and safety precautions.
- Look for brands or suppliers that use third-party testing methods, such as gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS), to verify the purity and composition of their essential oils. They should also provide the test results and reports upon request or on their website.
- Look for brands or suppliers that have organic, wildcrafted, or ethically sourced certifications or accreditations from reputable organizations, such as USDA Organic, Ecocert, Fair Trade, or Leaping Bunny.
- Look for brands or suppliers that have positive reviews, testimonials, and feedback from customers, experts, or influencers in the aromatherapy community.
- Look for brands or suppliers that offer reasonable prices, guarantees, and customer service. Avoid brands or suppliers that offer extremely cheap, discounted, or free essential oils, as they may be diluted, adulterated, or expired.
Essential oils are wonderful natural products that can enhance your wellness and well-being. But not all essential oils are created equal. The term “therapeutic grade” is a misleading and meaningless term that has no scientific or legal basis. It is a marketing ploy that tries to convince you that some essential oils are better than others.
The truth is, all essential oils are therapeutic by nature. The quality and safety of essential oils depend on many factors and criteria that you need to be aware of and investigate before buying. You need to do your own research and be informed before choosing an essential oil brand or supplier.
We hope this article has helped you understand the truth behind therapeutic grade essential oils and how to choose high-quality essential oils. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to share them below. We would love to hear from you!
Q: What are some reputable sources or organizations that provide information and education about essential oils?
A: Some reputable sources or organizations that provide information and education about essential oils are:
- The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA)
- The Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA)
- The International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA)
- The Aromahead Institute
- The School for Aromatic Studies
- The Tisserand Institute
Q: What are some reliable and trustworthy essential oil brands or suppliers?
A: Some reliable and trustworthy essential oil brands or suppliers are:
- Plant Therapy
- Eden’s Garden
- Rocky Mountain Oils
- Aura Cacia
- Mountain Rose Herbs
Q: How can I use essential oils safely and effectively?
A: To use essential oils safely and effectively, you should:
- Follow the instructions and precautions on the label or product description of the essential oil.
- Dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil before applying it to your skin.
- Perform a patch test on a small area of your skin before using the essential oil.
- Avoid using the essential oil near your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, or genitals.
- Avoid using the essential oil if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, allergic, or have a medical condition.
- Consult a qualified aromatherapist or health care provider before using the essential oil.
Q: How can I store and preserve my essential oils?
A: To store and preserve your essential oils, you should:
- Keep them in dark glass bottles with tight-fitting caps.
- Keep them away from heat, light, air, moisture, and extreme temperatures.
- Keep them out of reach of children and pets.
- Label them clearly with the name, date, and batch number of the essential oil.
- Use them within the recommended shelf life of the essential oil.
Q: How can I learn more about essential oils?
A: To learn more about essential oils, you can:
- Read books, blogs, articles, magazines, or newsletters about essential oils.
- Watch videos, podcasts, webinars, or courses about essential oils.
- Join online forums, groups, communities, or networks about essential oils.
- Attend workshops, seminars, conferences, or events about essential oils.
- Enroll in a certification program or course about essential oils.
If you found this exploration into therapeutic grade essential oils intriguing, there’s a treasure trove of health insights waiting for you. For more in-depth articles on health, healthcare, and natural remedies for various ailments, check out our dedicated platform at espanolhealth.com. Dive deep into a world where wellness meets knowledge, and empower yourself to lead a healthier life.